The New Corner

It's so cool to see an intelligently designed building proposed in Peregian Beach Village Square. It is low scale, oriented north, passive solar & fresh air ventilated and has no ugly air conditioning units on the roof.

Well done to our local architect Dan Spark's team and the new owners.

It is also noted in the advertised documentation on the council website that the proposed development will have a dedicated water tank for use in the lush green village square.

Things are changing in our little town.

Write a comment

Comments: 7
  • #1

Jacqui Clarke (Monday, 14 May 2012 18:45)

The building does look great, however, I am concerned about more cars being attracted to the area's popular eating venues with the already inadequate parking facilities.

• #2

Simon (Monday, 14 May 2012 21:14)

Carparking definitely needs to be dealt with, though it shouldn't stop us creating beautiful spaces that are in line with the community and village. Maybe council could look at 226 David Low Way and rezone it to allow an underground carpark with retail/convenience store on street level.

• #3

SK (Monday, 14 May 2012 21:18)

Responsible patrons will hopefully leave the car at home and walk in or catch a cab so they can enjoy a drink with friends. The 620 bus goes right by Peregian Beach Village connecting Noosa to the north , Coolum and Maroochydore to the south.

• #4

RG (Monday, 14 May 2012 22:57)

I would like to share an experience with you all, about drinking and driving.
    As you well know, some of us have been known to have had rare brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the years.

A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends and had a few too many beers and some rather nice red wine.
    Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before .... I took a bus home.
    Sure enough I passed a roadblock but as it was a bus they waved it past.

I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise, as I have never driven a bus before and am not sure where I got it from!
    If you know of anybody missing a bus please let me know so I can arrange to return it.

• #5

john fuller (Tuesday, 15 May 2012 03:47)

The issue of carparks is always tricky - if that's where all the resources go, you're sure to succeed in attracting more cars.
    A community bus [like the surf club] doing the rounds - flexibly instructed by mobile ph requests from patrons instead of rigid timetables and stops. It's like a shared taxi.
    The cost of an underground carpark has to be borne somewhere in the community...and still doesn't help if you have enjoyed a tad too much!

• #6

Ross (Sunday, 29 July 2012 19:31)

Looks fantastic! Can't wait...a great use of this space and location, sorry to see a long standing retailer is affected by progress but Peregian is needing to be progressive to cater for the new found popularity, as long as the things that attract people to the town and surrounds aren't damaged by such progress, this development looks like it will be a big plus over the current retail usage. Guessing this will be the 16th place to get a coffee! 15 is the new coming organic cafe! awesome...Peregian is moving along nicely. Don't let the multinationals F-It-UP!

• #7

Mish (Friday, 10 August 2012 22:13)

I had a good laugh at RG above - LOL!!!

In all seriousness, although I am all for the current retailers there at the corner, it will be great to see something there that is CLEAN. There are currently two places in Peregian who have their windows covered up with ugly advertising: the pharmacy and the cornerstore. It's ugly and it's dirty, so it will be nice to see open spaces that are clean.

However, having said that, the real question remains whether or not there are enough people here outside of holiday season to sustain yet more retail spaces. You can talk to anyone in retail in Peregian, and pretty much all of them will tell you that since the caravan park closed down, retail has been a struggle.

To make matters worse, the injection of funds from the Peregian Originals (when not rained out) is about to be halved, as the Council are looking to decrease it to 12 performances a year.

The new Essence of Peregian may provide a short term reprieve in terms of slow retail for the Village, due to construction, but one has to wonder how the long term plan for Essence is going to be sustained, both in terms of retail as well as accommodation.

If you consider the current QLD trend on construction and real estate, one can see that it's not exactly booming.

One should be cautious about "new and exciting" developments: what may look like a diamond, may in fact, turn out to be cubic zirconia.